Monday, January 30, 2012

Happy Beyond Belief!

January 22, 2012 at 12:20 pm our Lathan Rush Collins entered into this world and stole our hearts completely! He was 7 lbs and 20 3/4 inches long and could not be any more perfect!


January 21 at 8:30 pm we checked into the hospital for our induction. I was terrified out of my mind!! They did not have a room in delivery so we had to begin the process in triage which was completely and totally uncomfortable! They gave me medicine to cause my cervix to dilate since it was not happening on its own... I started having mini contractions. About one in the morning they moved me to the delivery room and that's when the contractions really started. I had sent my family home because I thought nothing was going to happen...but Lance was absolutely amazing during the contractions. They were excruciating!!! I have never felt pain like that in my life...I had a lot of back labor so that was what hurt the most. Lance would rub it for me as the contractions came every single minute. At about six in the morning, my cervix was at a three so my family showed up - My water had broke and we realized little man had a bowel movement so the nurses feared he would swallow it...they said they would have to be extra fast after he was delivered to get it sucked out of his mouth and they alerted the NICU to come down just in case. As if the fear of delivering was not enough...then i was terrified for my baby's safety. What if something was wrong? What if he aspirated that? It was very scary. I was finally at a point where I could get an epidural; The contractions happened so fast I had to get the epidural during one which was awful. Next thing I remember...I fell asleep and when I woke up I was at a nine! Holy crap...here we go! I remember feeling completely and totally terrified... but I had my mom and my wonderful husband as my support system.


And then the pushing started... The epidural worked for about an hour and as he got closer and closer to coming out I felt more and more pressure and then burning. OUCH! That's all I have to say. After about an hour and a half of pushing...my precious baby boy was finally here. Lance cut his umbilical cord and he was so emotional...he was a daddy and I was a mommy!! The nurses swept him away from me before I could see him...the NICU team assessed him and said he was completely fine. They weighed him, did his footprints, and about 35 minutes later I finally got to see my pride and joy. Love at first sight! He is Lance's mini-me...maybe that is why I think he is so handsome!! Everything else from that afternoon was such a blur...lots of people coming through and admiring the handsome fella, his first bath, and then we moved to the postpartum room. I really don't remember much else that day. It really is true when people say God takes all that memory away...I know I was in a lot if pain but there is just so much that I can not remember. I feel like I never had a moment to stop and let it register that Lance and I were parents...everything was so hectic, I was in so much pain, so many people were around...it wasn't until we were alone that night that Lance crawled in bed with me and him and it really clicked that we were a family! Lathan was all ours forever. Then this overwhelming sense of pride and love came over me... It was like my maternal instincts turned on and I knew I would do whatever I needed to do to make this little guy have the absolute best life possible.


Our first night was kind of difficult..we hadn't slept since Saturday morning and it was Sunday night but our adrenaline was still so high we could not sleep...in fact I think I got maybe six hours the entire time I was there. Poor little guy had so many tests ran, his blood sugar was low so they had to test it every time he ate which was every two hours. The poor guy was poked and prodded more then any cute little baby should be! In the end...he was completely healthy! He had a really hard time catching on how to nurse...nurses came in every time to help us but the end result was always formula. I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to breast feed my baby...little did I know what a little pig you would turn into :) Despite the sleepless nights we had in the hospital, we did not want them to take him to the nursery... We loved him so much from the start! We wanted to do everything ourselves to prepare us for when the nurses would be gone. We didn't want to depend on my parents either...we really wanted to do this alone...to prove to everyone and ourselves we would be great parents!


He passed his hearing test, had his newborn pictures taken, and Tuesday morning the poor baby was circumcised. I have to say...our baby is a tough little guy! He didn't even cry! He is just so content and happy all the time...nothing seems to phase him! That afternoon we were discharged to come home!!! I had no idea how comfortable our couches and bed were compared to the hospital - boy oh boy, were we happy to be home!! The dogs couldn't have been happier to have seen us...they have adjusted great to him and Rocky is protective of him already! He watches everyone holding him and always goes to check on him when he cries. Little Macoy still does not know what to think!


Within half an hour of coming home Lance heard there was a major pay cut at his job and he was going to be dropped 1.50...he was devastated. My heart broke for him because I knew how excited he was to bring Lathan home and then to have that bombshell dropped. We were definitely pretty darn bummed... But not for long! An hour later, Stormont Vail hospital called and offered him a job! Five dollars more an hour then what he'd be making at the county and cheaper insurance!! They wanted him to start February 27th...so Lance has five weeks at home with me and the baby!! It was the craziest whirlwind of emotions but at the end of the day it turned out amazing!!! It was truly a blessing in disguise...having him home with me has been AMAZING!


Lathan is nine days old and I think I fall more and more in love with him every single day! He is an amazing baby...he is full of funny facial expressions and he never fails to amaze Lance and I! He is so cuddly and just snuggles up perfect...it is very very very hard to put him down! Lance makes fun of me because I always have him curled up in my chest or belly...he is just too perfect! He just fits perfect in my arms! He nurses like crazy now! He's such a great eater and got back to his birth weight in five days...the nurses said that was a record. He eats three ounces a feeding which is A LOT! It just makes me laugh how much he loves his food...All he needs to hear is my voice. He also loves to sleep...in fact we have to wake him up in the middle of the night to nurse...he lets us get about seven or eight hours of sleep total a night. I honestly do not think he could be any better of a baby!


Lance has been so amazing...he is a WONDERFUL daddy and my heart just melts when I see them together. We made Lathan together out of love and he couldn't be any more perfect! I can not imagine doing this alone...in the middle of the night he does the burping and changes the diapers. In fact, the breast feeding clinic told us today how they were all talking about what an amazing couple we make and how great of a team we make together. That's completely true, we make a great team! I can not even explain how happy my heart feels when I see Lance holding him...I just feel like my life is so complete.


Our families are also very excited. My parents are thrilled and they try to come over as much as they can... Rebecca calls him her main man and finally understands what it feels like to be an aunt. You fall in love just like they are your own! Kendalyn and Kassidy have been wonderful with him as well...they love holding him and kiss him all the time! Everyone has fallen in love...that's for sure! I really miss my grandpa and I really wish he could have met my Lathan...I just know that he is watching over us and I hope he is proud of me and where my life is. Also, now that he is here...I have so many fears and anxieties about my moms next PET scan...I need it to be fine. I have this new baby and she needs to be healthy for her to be a Ma to him. It scares me to think about if she gets bad test results. I pray several times a day for her to be fine.


On a happier note...life feels as if it is just so complete now! Lathan really has stolen my heart and he's a wonderful addition to our wild and crazy family!


I'll post some of my favorite pictures of his funny expressions...he does one we call his sexy face because he looks like he belongs on the movie Zoolander!


No comments:

Post a Comment